Friday, January 25, 2013

lullaby

Our bedtime routine has been, more or less, the same for quite some time now. Squirt runs out to give daddy a giant hug and kiss, saying "ni-ni, daddy," and *tries* to do the same with the cats. She marches into the bedroom, closes the door (firmly, I might add), spritzes her hippopotamus spray around the bed, and "blows" out the light. The evening always ends with me singing her special song (made up by yours truly one very tired night when she was very tiny). Within the last few weeks, though, she has added something to the routine. Before, we would snuggle as I sing, she'd drowsily crawl away and get comfortable, and, sooner or later, she'd fall asleep. Done. I had a little time to read or whatnot before my own bedtime. Now, she crawls away, finds a comfy spot, lays down, and relaxes. Right around the time, though, that I think she may have drifted off to sleep, she starts to sing. Loudly. For a long time (last night was an hour straight, I kid you not). From the few "real" words I can make out, it sounds like she's singing about her day - her friends, her activities, her toys... She usually just lays in her bed, singing, but sometimes she crawls over to me and pats my back as she sings, presumably trying to soothe me to sleep. While it's a bit annoying when her little lullaby starts encroaching on my own bedtime, it's the sweetest thing. How many other adults get a one-of-a-kind lullaby every night?

Sleeping beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment