Tuesday, July 3, 2012

self-portrait

Last night, Squirt joined the ranks of the likes of Vincent van Gogh, Frida Kahlo, and Leonardo DaVinci. That is to say that she has captured her first self-portrait.

Last night, Squirt was in a pretty volatile mood (I blame molars and inescapable heat). There was almost nothing I could do to cheer her up. We played "boat" with the laundry basket, with me pushing her through the house as she made bbbbbrt noises. I used my phone to sneak a few pictures of her. She was fascinated (and I was getting tired), so I showed her the pictures on my phone. She pointed and cheesed at the pictures of herself and figured out how to scroll through the other pictures. I took a picture of myself and showed it to her - she waved and declared "Momma!" She was happy and I needed to finish cooking her dinner, so I left her in her "boat" with my phone and cooked up some curried lamb and cauliflower (which was a hit, thankyouverymuch). I took the phone from her as I sat her down to eat. "Upload complete." What? What upload? What heinous thing did she do??? The little notification disappeared as soon as I read it... It was all rather ominous (but maybe I've just watched far too many Cold War spy movies). We went about our nightly routine and I completely forgot about that little notification.

Until this morning.

I woke up to multiple notifications on my phone about people "liking" or commenting on my new photo on facebook. What photo? When I venture to look, I'm greeted with a picture of Squirt. A picture I did not take nor upload. Apparently, when I left her to her own devices as I finished dinner, she had captured her very first self-portrait and decided to share it with the world...

Squirt: self-portrait. A study of toddlerhood.

1 comment:

  1. wow, she is an amazingly smart child! AND beautiful as her mother!

    ReplyDelete