Thursday, April 25, 2013

new heights

Squirt's already strong desire to explore, roam, and test (and expand) her limits has soared to new heights recently (in more ways than one). She wants to see everything, do everything, go everywhere. It's amazing (and terrifying and frustrating and... well, lots of things) to watch her bloom more every day as her language and physical skills grow exponentially. Right now, she is an unstoppable bundle of energy and, at least around Momma, a non-stop chatter box. If she can walk somewhere, she'll run (adorably, I might add; right now she runs with her entire body, pulling up her shoulders, twisting at the waist, and pumping her bent arms fervently). If she can step up onto something, she'll hop. She will find the most complicated path to get to her end point and take it. Rather symbolic for how she is climbing ever higher in her skills and understanding of the world, she is also literally climbing everything (I mean it - yesterday she tried to climb the stuccoed wall of our house and was very upset when she couldn't find a good hand hold). At parks right now, she will find the most challenging (and tallest) way up a play structure and scale it. Over and over and over, and always with beaming pride at the top. Any attempts to help, or even just spot her, are met with a wagging finger and firm "No, Mom, back!"  She can - and will - do it, and do it all, herself.



High five!
 
one more thing...
There is one more thing I want to scribe forever on my memory (via the unsinkable interwebs) related to Squirt's above-mentioned super zip; something I'm sure won't last much longer before she's on to new habits... 
 
I work out at home. I've tried going to a gym, but it just doesn't work for me right now. I used to use kettlebells every few days - you know, back when you would sit Squirt down in one place and she'd, more or less stay there, or during those brief, almost mythical evenings that she'd actually go to bed before my bedtime - but I had to cut them out most of the time now that Squirt is always trying to "help" and join me in every activity. It's just flat-out dangerous! So I've regressed to body-weight exercises most of the time - stuff like pull-ups and plyomentrics. Since I don't really have any time at home without her around, I just do these quick workouts with her. For a while, it seemed that I did these workouts around her, but lately she has been more involved. When I say "ok, lets do a plank," she comes up right beside me - sometimes under me - and holds herself in a pretty perfect plank. We take turns doing pull/chin-ups (that's more for me than her; it gives me a break and those are HARD). Sometimes, when I'm doing push-ups or holding plank, she grins maliciously and crawls up on my back, commanding "again!" On a less evil note, the other day, as I thought I couldn't possibly squeeze out my last push-up, she started clapping and cheered "YAAAAY!" What a motivating little coach! She is also the cutest little bean when she does squats with me. I *usually* try to count my reps out loud for her, and sometimes she tries to count along with me. I don't think she has the concept of letters and numbers quite down, yet, because when she's counting out reps (or singing the ABC song, for that matter), she makes it up as she goes: "one, tree, five, B, twe've, two, X..." At the end, though, she often claps and does a little jig. While I may not be getting the toughest, most amazing workout out there, I wouldn't trade these moments for anything <3
 
 
Doing squats - look at that smile!
 
"Sit down, Mom!"
A little post-workout play time.

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment